Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Dialogue Workout 54


1.
A: I’m glad you suggested going out to dinner.
B: You are? Then, why are you acting so nervous?
A: To tell the truth, I always avoid going to fancy restaurants.
B: Why?
A: I never know what to order.
B: Don’t be nervous. I’ll help you out if you get stuck.
2.
A: The waiter might speak too fast, and I won’t understand.
B: I’m sure you’ll do okay. Just take your time.
A: I’ve never been to anyplace like this before.
B: Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
A: But what if I can’t understand one word?
B: It’s okay to ask the waiter to repeat and talk slowly.
3.
A: Good evening. Do you have reservations?
B: No, we don’t. We decided to go out at the last minute.
A: That’s all right. We aren’t very busy now. Just the two of you?
B: Yes, just the two of us. I’m glad we don’t have to wait.
A: Smoking or non smoking?
B: Non smoking, please. I hate to sit next to smokers while I’m eating.
4.
A: My name is Mary. I’ll be your waitress for this evening.
Can I get you anything from the bar first?
B: Yes, I’d like a coke, and my friend will have the same.
A: Let me tell you about tonight’s specials. Our fish is red snapper. It’s cooked in a butter and garlic sauce.
B: Thank you for explaining, but I think we’ll order from the menu.
A: All right, here’s your menu. I’ll be back in a few minutes to take your order.
5.
A: I’m not used to eating at fancy restaurants.
B: There certainly are a lot of things to choose from.
A: I can’t make up my mind. I’ll let you decide.
B: It’s a lot easier to order at MacDonalds.
A: I think I want the red snapper. But what is “a la carte?”
B: It means you only get the fish. The whole dinner comes with soup or salad.
6.
A: I don’t want to rush you, but have you decided yet?
B: Yes, we have. I would like the red snapper.
A: Would you care for soup or salad with that?
B: I’ll have salad.
A: You have a choice of tossed green salad or spinach salad.
B: I’ll have a spinach salad with oil and vinegar dressing.
7.
A: I just love this calamari. It’s delicious. How’s yours?
B: This red snapper is terrific. I’m going to recommend this restaurant to friends.
A: It was a lot easier than I thought it would be to order dinner.
B: You really did well, too. It gets easier every time.
A: However, I’m really full right now, and I didn’t finish.
B: We’ll have to get a “doggy bag” for the left overs.
8.
A: A “doggy bag?” I’m not going to feed my dog this fancy stuff.
B: No, that’s just a name for it. They put your left overs in a box to take home.
A: Then, I can continue eating this fish for lunch.
B: That’s right. There’s no point letting this good food go to waste.
A: But I doubt that I have enough room for dessert.
B: I can’t eat dessert either. Maybe just a cup of coffee.
9.
A: I like this restaurant. I’ve been here several times before.
B: So have I. The food has always been pretty good.
A: I wonder what is keeping our waiter. We’ve been waiting a long time.
B: Maybe you should politely remind the waiter that we are here.
A: Here comes the waiter now. What did we decide to order?
B: Oh, gee. I forget.
10.
A: Waiter, I’m sorry. I can’t possibly eat this.
B: You can’t? Why not?
A: I don’t know. Something is wrong with it. It’s too salty.
B: Oh, I’m so sorry. I’ll get a replacement order.
A: That’s all right. I’ve decided I’m not really hungry.
B: Well, I’m really sorry. Have a good evening

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin