Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Am I a Hypocrite for Teaching Public School?

I'm pretty open with my belief that the lack of student/parent choice in American education is detrimental. Everyday I have students in class who attend because they are legally forced to. As you can guess, learning is not something easily done by force of law. If you want to teach high school, and I do, there are also few options for educators. So am I a traitor to my libertarianism for being a cog in a machine I don't fully support? Economist David Henderson says no while defending his colleague (and in turn me):
I was re-reading and pondering Ayn Rand and started to conclude that I shouldn't go back to [teaching] college and receive government funds. Then I realized that by that same principle, I shouldn't walk on government-funded streets. Then I realized that government had its hand in so many things that I couldn't live a normal life (and, indeed, probably couldn't even live--think of getting food or going to work without going on government roads or sidewalks) without using many things funded by government. That caused me to, as Ayn Rand liked to say, "check my premises."

I would take advantage of these things that government funds but never let those funds stop me from criticizing government when I thought it was wrong and would NEVER advocate funding of those things government did that I thought were wrong.
As one commenter put it, I am not excused from the costs of government (taxation, regulation, etc), so I should not be excused from the benefits either:
I don't see anything inconsistent in simultaneously advocating against a policy and accepting the benefits of that policy should you happen to be outvoted. To declare otherwise is to create a social order in which being principled means being a sucker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin