Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Grammartalk 17. Embedded (included) Questions.

"Studio with Plaster Head" by Pablo Picasso

1.
A: I'm trying to find the man who robbed the bank. Can you tell me what he looks like?
B: I'm sorry. I don't know what he looks like. I didn't see his face.
A: Did you see his car? Do you remember the color of the car and the make?
B: I believe it was a Ford, but I'm not sure what color it was. It might have been blue.
A: I would be really helpful if you knew the license number of the car.
B: No. I definitely couldn't tell you what the license number was.

2.
A: I don't know much about our parents' lives before we were born. Do you?
B: I'm only two years older than you. I don't know much about them either.
A: Do you by any chance know when they were married?
B: I have no idea when they were married. It might have been fifteen years ago or even 20 years ago.
A: Do you know where they lived before they moved to Newport?
B: They told me once, but I forgot where they used to live. It might have been New York City, but I'm not sure.

3.
A: Alan Fisher is doing a great job for the company. How long has he worked here?
B: You know, I have no idea how long he's been working here.
A: Has he always worked at that desk? Or, has he worked at another desk?
B: I'm not sure if he's always worked at that desk or not. He might have worked at the one next to the water cooler.
A: Did he use to bring his lunch to work or has he always gone to the corner for lunch?
B: Steve Parker can tell you if Allan has always eaten lunch at the restaurant on the corner or not. Why don't you ask Steve?

4.
A: Could you please tell me what time the concert begins?
B: I believe it begins at 8:00 PM, but I'm not sure when it ends.
A: Do you happen to know if there is parking near the concert hall?
B: You can park in the garage, but it's quite expensive. If I were you, I'd arrive early and try to find a parking space on the street.
A: Is there a good restaurant near the concert hall?
B: I don't know if there are any good restaurants nearby or not. I've never been to a restaurant in that neighborhood.

5.
A: I'm calling about the apartment at 379 Sanchez Street. Can you tell me if it's been rented or not?
B: Not yet. But a lot of people have called. Would you like to see it?
A: I'd like to ask you a couple of questions first, if that's okay.
B: Sure. I don't know if I can answer all your questions, but I'll do my best.
A: I understand it's a fourth floor apartment. I'd like to know if there are any elevators.
B: Yes, in fact, the building has two elevators. But I believe one of them is broken.
A: Do you know if the apartment has a modern kitchen?
B: I'm pretty sure the kitchen is modern. There's a problem with the garbage disposal, but they're going to fix it next week.

6.
A: Grandma, when did you learn to knit?
B: I can't remember when I learned to knit. It was a long time ago.
A: Why doesn't mother like to knit?
B: I don't know why she doesn't like to knit. You'll have to ask her.
A: Grandma, I've been thinking. Why do elephants have long ears?
B: I have no idea why elephants have long ears. You'll have to consult the encyclopedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin