Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Grammartalk 11, Page 1 - Future, Real Conditional

"Tulip" by Georgia O'Keefe






















1.
A: How will you get to work tomorrow?
B: If it rains, I’ll drive my car.
A: What if it doesn’t rain?
B: If it doesn’t rain, I’ll walk to work.
A: If it’s sunny, I’ll eat my lunch outside.
B: I’ll have my lunch on the grass if it’s nice out.
2.
A: What are we having for dinner tonight?
B: If we’re hungry, we’ll have a full course meal.
A: What if we’re not very hungry?
B: We’ll just have some soup if we’re not too hungry.
A: If I’m not tired, I’ll cook dinner tonight.
B: Let’s go to a restaurant if we’re too tired to cook.
3.
A: What’s the matter with Fred? Is he sick?
B: Yes, he is. But, he’s getting over it slowly.
A: Will he be at work if he feels better tomorrow?
B: Yes, but if he doesn’t feel better, he’ll stay home and rest another day.
A: If he stays home, he won’t finish the report.
B: He won’t get a raise unless he finishes it on time.
4.
A: Should I buy a car? I can’t decide.
B: If you buy a car, you’ll have to spend a lot of money.
A: If I spend too much, I won’t have enough to pay the rent.
B: If you’re short of cash, I’ll lend you a hundred dollars.
A: If you lend me money, I’ll pay you back soon.
B: I think you’d better not buy that car.
5.
A: Maybe we shouldn’t move to New York.
B: If you move there, you’ll be far away from your grandchildren.
A: If we don’t see them very often, we’ll be sad.
B: If you miss them too much, you’ll fly to San Francisco a lot.
A: If we fly a lot, we’ll spend too much for plane fare.
B: You probably shouldn’t move to New York.
6.
A: Would you like to go to the beach with me?
B: If I go to the beach, I might get a sunburn.
A: You won’t get a sunburn if you use sun screen.
B: If I get a sunburn, it will itch a lot.
A: Your sunburn won’t itch because you won’t get one.
B: If we go to the beach, do we have to swim?
7.
A: Careful, put on your safety glasses.
B: I’ll wear them if you really think they’re necessary.
A: If you don’t wear them, you might hurt your eyes.
B: Okay, I’ll put them on right away if you insist.
A: If you are careful on the job, you won’t get hurt.
B: If I wear my safety glasses, I’ll feel safer.
8.
A: Unless you stop smoking, you’ll start a fire here.
B: Why will I start a fire if I smoke a cigarette?
A: There are inflammable chemicals all around us.
B: Oh, I didn’t know. I’ll put it out right away.
A: If the boss see you smoking, he’ll have a fit.
B: Okay, I won’t smoke anymore on the job.
9.
A: You know, you shouldn’t drive so fast.
B: If I don’t drive fast, I won’t be on time to work.
A: But you might have an accident if you don’t slow down.
B: If I’m not on time to work, I might lose my job.
A: If you speed, you could get a ticket.
B: Okay, you’re right. I’ll try to drive a little slower.
10.
A: If Jose works overtime, he’ll make more money.
B: But if he works too much, he’ll be very tired.
A: He can buy a house if he saves enough money.
B: He might find a better job if he looks around.
A: Yes. He has a lot of ability.
B: However, if he looks for a new job, he might not find one.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin