Tuesday, November 2, 2010

How to Increase Voting

I'm very interested in the culture of voting. I talked plenty about how your vote doesn't count, which helps explain why it's so hard to get people to vote. I've posted about how Swiss mail-in ballots decreased turnout. And here's Megan McArdle on how early voting may do the same. I even wrote my graduate thesis on the effects of compulsory voting laws. So when I read about a way to actually get people to vote, I couldn't resist. So what's this magical method? Peer pressure. Here's the story:
Before the 2006 Michigan gubernatorial primary, three political scientists isolated a group of voters and mailed them copies of their voting histories, listing the elections in which they participated and those they missed. Included were their neighbors’ voting histories, too, along with a warning: after the polls closed, everyone would get an updated set.

After the primary, the academics examined the voter rolls and were startled by the potency of peer pressure as a motivational tool. The mailer was 10 times better at turning nonvoters into voters than the typical piece of pre-election mail whose effectiveness has ever been measured.
My next question is, do we even want those pressure driven votes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin